CP-WAX polyethylenes have been used as performance additives in a wide of industrial applications.
Ink, Imaging And Coating
Highly attractive results have been observed in ink, coating and digital imaging applications after the addition of CP-WAX polyethylenes at low concentrations:
- Improved rub and mar resistance and slip characteristics may be secured by addition of 0.5 to 2% micronized CP-WAX polyethylenes to lithographic and flexographic inks.
- Improved flattening that is not subject to over-grinding may be obtained using CP-WAX polyethylene concentrations of about3%.
- Its excellent resistance to solvents, micronized CP-WAX has been used to provide excellent slip and rub properties in highly aggressive solvent systems such as publications gravure printing systems.
- Improved slip characteristics may be achieved in stir-in ink applications where CP-WAX polyethylenes can be used as substitutes for PTFE.
- In dry toner applications CP-WAX polyethlenes act as anti-offset agents when applied via heat fixation, or softening point modefiers when applied via pressure fixation.
- Their hardness and narrow melt distribution, CP-WAX polyethylenes are used as performance enhancing additives in thermal transfer ink and hot melt ink-jet applications.
- CP-WAX polythlenes have improved the leveling and slip of polyester power coatings at concentrations of 0.75to2%.
Hot Melt Adhesives and Coatings
CP-WAX polyethylenes have been used to enhance the properties of hot melt adhesives:
- It can be used to lower the viscosity of hot melt formulations and, at the same time, increase the softening point.
- It can cause a seeding effect in the hot melt formulations causing crystallization of the adhesive on the substrate to occur more readily.
- It can be used at low concentrations to significantly raise the solidification point of a hot melt formulation.
- CP-WAX polyethlenes are a performance ingredient in temporary and permanent anti-corrosion hot melt dip coatings for automobile applications.
Phase Change Materials
The exceptional thermal properties of CP-WAX polyethylenes may be exploited in a number of ways:
Their precise melt point and narrow melt distribution, CP-WAX polyethylenes are used as the performance ingredient in the manufacture of automotive thermostats.
The relatively high heat of fusion of CP-WAX polythylenes leads to their being most useful in the production of food warming jackets.
Cable Fill Compounds
- CP-WAX ployethylenes are used as the performance additive in high sag point polyisobutene-based cable fill compounds for fibre opitc cables.
- CP-WAX polyethylenes exhibit efficacy in mineral oil and petrolatum-based cable fill compounds, having outstanding properties with regard to oil bleed and dimensional stability.